Plastics

Stay informed

Plastics

Stay informed

Know your plastics

37% of plastic waste is made from products such as electronics, textiles and furniture. The remaining 63% are single-use products and packaging. In order to eliminate our plastic crisis, let’s cut back on some of the most unnecessary and ubiquitous plastics out there.

Consequences of plastics

The plastics epidemic is already threatening the integrity of our waterways, directly harming wildlife, and creating public health issues across Canada and around the globe.

At Drop the Plastic, we understand that addressing each of these issues involves unique challenges and a collected effort.

Microplastics

Did you know fleece is made of plastic?

Learn more

Biodegradable vs. compostable

What is the difference?

Learn more

Recycling in Canada

Is recycling even real?

Learn more

It won’t go away

Durability hasn’t always been the hallmark of plastics, but this ‘miracle’ trait has turned out to be a disaster for the planet. decomposition of plastic takes hundreds to thousands of years, and only ever breaks down into smaller and smaller plastics.

Of the 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic ever produced, it is estimated that nearly 5 billion are now in our landfills, oceans, and polluting the streets in our communities. An additional 750 million tonnes have been incinerated into our airways.

0billion
plastic bags used daily in Canada
0million
straws used daily in Canada
0tonnes
of plastic waste ends up in Canadian landfills each year
get in touch